Plastics and Rubber Products
Brantford·Brant's Target Market Segments:
The rubber and plastics sector were reviewed to identify segments that may be best suited for investment and growth in Brantford Brant. Based on an evaluation of various historical and forward looking factors, including contact with industry associations and government authorities, the sectors that appear most promising are:
- automotive plastic parts; and
- packaging (plastic films,plastic bags, and plastic bottles)
The following Table provides a brief description of each of these segments of the industry.
Target Plastics and Rubber Processing Segments
||Market Segments and Major Process Employed
||Main Factors in Ranking
||Automotive/Transportation Parts (Injection Moulding)
||Excellent nearby customer base (assembly plants), High value adding,Larger establishments/more employees,Good nearby resin supply, Good growth
||Packaging films and Bags (Blown Film Extrusion)
||Alignment with food sector focus, Good nearby customer base, Good nearby resin availability, Moderate growth (selected areas)
||Bottles (Blow Moulding)
||Excellent nearby resin availability for PE and PP Bottles, Unfortunately, PE, PP bottles are slower growth market segments. Strong PET water bottles, Moderately near PET resin supply
||Plumbing Products (Injection Moulding)
||Good nearby resin availability, good growth
||Foams (Foam Blowing)
||Smaller establishments, furniture and auto customers, good nearby resin availability, average growth
||Siding, Windows, etc. (Profile Extrusion)
||Nearby PVC resin availability, needs to be defined (some PVC resin integrated to plastic processing producer-Royal), average growth
||Pipe (Profile Extrusion)
||Mature market (Construction related), Nearby PVC resin availability needs to be defined,Good nearby PE resin supply
||Tires, Other Rubber, Hose
||Slow market growth, mature industry, excellent nearby resin and carbon black supply
- Over 1,800 people are employed in the plastics industry in Brantford·Brant within 27 businesses
- Strong local labour force growth
- Ready access to larger labour market
- Competitive wage levels
- Local market presence includes MYE Canada Operations Inc. (formerly ITML Horticultural Products Inc.), Brant Corrosion Control Inc., Atlas Hydraulics and Koolatron.
- Low land and construction costs when compared to other Southern Ontario locations
- Presence of post secondary educational institutions in Brantford, Hamilton and Kitchener- Waterloo
- Mohawk College's Brantford Campus offers a specialized program in Graphic Design Production for the packaging industry. http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/dept/pmt/
- Proximity to Ontario's automotive industry manufacturers
- Proximity to Ontario and Northern US customer market and suppliers
- Within 2 ½ hours drive of all Canadian distribution assembly plants in Canada
Download a complete list of all Plastics and Rubber Companies in Brantford·Brant in PDF format.
Ontario Market – Key Facts
Ontario is home to a unique cluster of plastics companies encompassing the full length of the supply chain — from resin and material suppliers and mould-makers to processors, as well as a range of end-user industries including automotive, electronics, packaging and construction. In 2005, Canada's Plastics Cluster shipped over $43 US Billion in goods ranging from processors, resins, machinery and tool die and mould. Approximately 65% of the shipments originated in Ontario.
Ontario's Plastics End-Use Markets
Ontario and Canada are the lowest cost jurisdictions of all the G-7 nation countries, offering the lowest costs across a variety of growth sectors including plastics. Costs in Canada are 14.5 % below the US average.
Ontario is the hub of Canada's plastics industry, accounting for:
- 66% of shipments of plastic products
- 57% of employment in the Canadian plastics industry
- 2,100 plants
There is a wide distribution of plastic manufacturing plants in Ontario, as can be seen in the following chart.
Distribution of Plastics Companies in Ontario
Source: Ontario Investment Service (www.investinontario.com),September 2008
Download a Brochure on Ontario's Plastics Industry in PDF format.